How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in the Psychiatry Residency Program at the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Urbana-Champaign in association with Carle Foundation Hospital. The Psychiatry Residency Program participates in the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP) and only accepts applications through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Check our Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Begins when ERAS opening September 15
- Applicants must apply through ERAS
- Email, paper or faxed documentation cannot be accepted and is not reviewed
- Submission deadline is November 15
- Our ACGME Program ID is 4001600306
- Our NRMP number:
- Categorical program: 1226400C0
- Applications are welcomed from U.S. and International medical school graduates (only J-1 Visas, we do not sponsor H1B).
A complete application includes:
- A curriculum vitae (CV)
- A photograph
- A Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MPSE), Dean's letter from the candidate's medical school, or equivalent
- At least three letters of recommendation (waived letters)
- A personal statement
- Medical school transcript
- United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Scores/Transcripts for Steps 1 and 2
- Psychiatry Residency does not publish minimum score requirements
- COMLEX scores are accepted in lieu of USMLE for Osteopathic students
- Interviews, by invitation only, are held mid-October through February
- Invitations to interview are offered via email; interviews are then self-scheduled through an online portal
- Historically, the interview calendar fills by the end of November. An invitation-only waiting list is maintained, with openings filled on a first-come first-served basis.
- Interview candidates are invited to attend an optional dinner with current house staff the evening prior to the interview
- The typical interview day begins at 8:30 a.m. and includes:
- A short presentation by the program director
- Interviews with three faculty members
- Hospital tours
- Additional opportunities to interact with house staff
- Lunch and exposure to an educational event
- Preference for interviews is given to candidates who have:
- Passed the USMLE exams with no failures
- USMLE transcripts documenting completion of Step 2 CS and CK must be available by February 1 prior to the NRMP Match (example: USMLE transcripts documenting CS and CK must be available in ERAS by February 1, 2018 for the match in 2018)
- Graduated from medical school within the past four years
- U.S. clinical experience required, e.g. clinical observership or externship
- The ability to meet Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation's requirements for Physician Temporary Licensure. This includes the ability to:
- Document at least four weeks of psychiatry rotation(s) in medical school
- Obtain continuing medical education credits in a timely fashion if necessary
- The ability to drive to all three training sites by the first day of residency.
- Without exception, international candidates must be Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certified by February 1 prior to the NRMP Match (example: candidates will need to be ECFMG certified by February 1, 2018 for the match in 2018)
Please note that this information may be subject to change.
Once an interview time has been confirmed, lodging arrangements can be made at any area hotel. You are responsible for reservations and payment of your hotel accommodations. Please note that a block of rooms has been reserved at the Hyatt Place which is near the pre-interview dinner restaurant. Here is a short list of reasonably priced hotels for your convenience.