How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in the Carle Foundation Hospital Internal Medicine Residency Program (IMRP) affiliated with the University of Illinois. The IMRP participates in the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP) and only accepts applications through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
NOTE: Due to a high volume of inquiries, we are unable to review or comment on individual applicant inquires.
- Begins when ERAS opens
- Applicants must apply through ERAS
- Email, paper or faxed documentation cannot be accepted and is not reviewed
- Our ACGME Program ID is 1401621456
- Our NRMP numbers:
- Categorical program: 1226140C0
- Preliminary program: 1226140P0
- Applications are welcomed from U.S. and International medical school graduates (only J-1 Visas, we do not sponsor H1B).
Application Criteria - A complete application includes:
- A curriculum vitae (CV)
- A Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MPSE), Dean's letter from the candidate's medical school, or equivalent
- At least three letters of recommendation (waived letters)
- A personal statement
- Medical School Transcript
- United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Scores/Transcripts for Steps 1 & 2
- IMRP does not publish minimum score requirements
- COMLEX scores are accepted in lieu of USMLE for Osteopathic students
Preference for interviews is given to candidates who have:
Please note that this information may be subject to change.
- Passed the USMLE exams with no failures
- USMLE transcripts documenting completion of Step 2 CS and CK must be available by February 1st prior to the NRMP match
- Graduated from Medical school within the past 4 years
- U.S. clinical experience required, e.g. clinical observership or externship
- The ability to meet Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation's requirements for Physician Temporary Licensure. This includes the ability to:
- Document at least 4 weeks of psychiatry rotation(s) in medical school
- Obtain continuing medical education credits in a timely fashion if necessary
- Without exception, international candidates must be Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certified by February 1 prior to the NRMP match
- Interviews, which are by invitation only, are held mid-October through February
- Invitations to interview are offered via email; interviews are then self-scheduled through ERAS.
- The interview calendar fills by the end of November. An invitation-only waiting list is maintained, with openings filled on a first-come first-served basis.
- Interview candidates are invited to attend an optional dinner with the House Staff the evening prior to the interview
- The typical interview day begins at 7:30 a.m. and typically includes:
- A short presentation by the program director
- Interviews with three faculty members
- Hospital tours
- Additional opportunities to interact with house staff
- Lunch and exposure to an educational event
Once an interview time has been confirmed, lodging arrangements can be made at any area hotel; however Carle Foundation Hospital has a partnership with Comfort Suites. Applicants must call 217-328-3500 or use the link provided below to make reservations. During your call please state that you are with Carle Hospital’s resident recruitment, and ask for their free shuttle service. Comfort Suites shuttle service will take you to your interview and pick you up afterwards. Applicants who book at Comfort Suites will receive a preferred rate
Discounted rates will only apply to Comfort Suites at 2001 N Lincoln Ave, Urbana, IL 61801 by using this link.