A highly personalized program of education and research
Carle Foundation Hospital is dedicated to the principle that education and research are integral to our mission of providing quality healthcare services. As the primary clinical facility for the Carle Illinois College of Medicine and University of Illinois College of Medicine at Urbana-Champaign, the hospital is committed to the highest academic standards of undergraduate, graduate and continuing medical education. Graduate medical education enhances quality patient care, the objectives of the medical staff, undergraduate education and the research objectives of the hospital. We are committed to providing resources required to meet external accreditation standards for programs we sponsor and endorse, and to comply fully with institutional responsibilities outlined by national post graduate accreditation bodies. Carle Foundation Hospital is dedicated to the principle that education and research are integral to our mission of providing quality healthcare services.
Salary & Benefits
Paid Week of Orientation
- BLS – Paid renewal only
- ACLS/PALS – Paid first time and renewal
- ALSO – Paid
- NRP – Paid
- ATLS – As needed
2 lab coats per year
Tax Deferred Annuity
All residents are eligible for payroll deduction, prior to the computation of taxes, for purchase of a 403(b) Plan
Health & Dental Plans
Effective first day of residency. Prescription plan is included with health plan.
Short Term Disability provided through contract as a salary guarantee through end of the contract year. Information on how to purchase Long Term Disability through Carle is available from Hospital Human Resources.
Short Term Disability provided through contract as a salary guarantee through end of the contract year. Information on how to purchase Long Term Disability Insurance through Carle is available from Hospital Human Resources.
Residents receive term life of $75,000.
Including tail insurance.
- Direct Deposit of paycheck
- Credit Union membership available
- Employee Assistance provides professional counseling to employees
- Employee Occupational Health provides medical care when needed due to work related injuries or exposure
- Faculty position at the University of Illinois College of Medicine – Urbana
- Carle Fitness Center - free for employees
- Free parking provided
- Daycare available on-site at "The Caring Place"
- Carle Optical 50% (with full payment at pick-up)
- Hospital Cafeteria - 30%
- Carle Medical Supply - 15%
- The Caring Place Daycare - 10%
Carle's Simulation Center and Surgical Skills Lab
Carle's Simulation Center and Surgical Skills Lab promotes and supports the educational growth of medical students, residents and healthcare professionals. The Center provides an innovative and comprehensive simulation learning environment where learners have the opportunity to advance conceptual and technical skills through simulated patient care.
Who Benefits from the Simulation Center and Surgical Skills Lab?
Simulating real-life situations is an invaluable asset to medical students, residents and healthcare professionals, who’s training then translates to fewer injuries, decreased surgical time and safer care for patients.
The Simulation Center and Surgical Skills Lab is primarily used by Carle’s graduate medical education programs including the General Surgery, Family Medicine, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Internal Medicine residencies. The facility also serves physicians, nurses, the University of Illinois College of Medicine and Carle Illinois College of Medicine.
Training models give clinicians ample practice in a simulated setting before providing services for patients. The center features:
- iStan Patient Simulator – A mannequin that reproduces detailed physiological and disease states and moves, lives and dies realistically
- Bronchoscopy/GI Simulator – Combined system for the training of both GI Endoscopy and Flexible Bronchoscopy
- High Fidelity Endoscopy Simulator – To facilitate acquisition of endoscopy skills, especially in training cognitive and psychomotor endoscopy skills, preventing and managing complications, and facilitating a team process
- Central Line Trainers – Ultrasound capabilities and appropriate anatomical landmarks and fluids
- Difficult Airway Trainer – Practice various techniques for intubation as well as simple airway training
- Philips Heartstart MRx Cardiac Monitor with Mock Code Cart – Practice more realistic mock codes and pre-arrest scenarios
- Colonoscopy Trainer – Used with an endoscope this provides the most realistic simulation of a colonoscopy
- Laparoscopic Hernia Model – Practice fixing various sizes of hernias
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy model – For removing the gallbladder laparoscopically
- Surgical microscope – To practice sewing minuscule blood vessels together (microvascular surgery)
- Breast models – Palpable interchangeable masses and ultrasound capabilities
- Suture and knot tying – For surgery and primary care physicians
- Vascular tree models – For practicing delicate vascular skills
- Peripheral IV arm – Learners can practice their peripheral IV access with various sizes of angiocatheters and simulated blood
- Circumcision models for newborns
The Simulation Center and Surgical Skills Lab houses a wide array of instruments and patient care materials that allow learners to become familiar with the operation of clinical equipment and the contents of procedural packs/trays/kits. This equipment includes:
- Surgical appliances (i.e. defibrillator, sonosite and cautery unit)
- Surgical kits (i.e. Thoracentesis trays, catheters and Emergency Cricothyrotomy kits)
- Airway supplies (i.e. laryngeal masks, intubation supplies, suction tubing and Bougie's)
- Cutting instruments (i.e. a variety of surgical scissors as well as scalpels)
- Surgical grasping and holding instruments including surgical forceps, hemostats, clamps and retractors
- Orthopedic, neurosurgical and gynecologic instruments
- Sutures and ties
- Wound care and casting materials
- Various staplers and Endostitch
- Laparoscopic equipment
- Operating microscope
- Sharps and syringes
- Various ways to practice Chest Tube insertion - iStan™ and beef rib models
- General supplies (i.e. blood pressure cuffs, surgical tape and a variety of gloves)
- Recording equipment to go over simulations in a debriefing session