Identifying, Investigating, and Prosecuting Domestic Violence Strangulation Cases
The Training Institute on Strangulation Prevention and Carle Foundation Hospital are pleased to announce "Identifying, Investigating, and Prosecuting Domestic Violence Strangulation Cases" will be held on Wednesday, October 23, 2019.
Strangulation has been identified as one of the most lethal forms of domestic violence and sexual assault: unconsciousness may occur within seconds and death within minutes. When domestic violence perpetrators choke (strangle) their victims, not only is this felonious assault, but it may be an attempted homicide. Strangulation is an ultimate form of power and control where the batterer can demonstrate control over the victim’s next breath; it may have devastating psychological effects or a potentially fatal outcome.
Gael Strack, leading specialized expert in the identification, investigation, and documentation of strangulation in intimate partner violence cases, will cover the following:
- Findings from a study of 300 misdemeanor strangulation cases
- Understanding the lethality of strangulation
- Identifying the signs and symptoms of strangulation cases
- Anatomy and medical aspects in surviving and non-surviving victims
- Investigating and documenting a Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Strangulation case for prosecution
- Legal aspects of strangulation cases with surviving victims
- Tools and Resources for Advocates
- Resources and handouts developed by the Institute
- Use of experts in court
The target audience is physicians, residents, advanced practice providers, registered nurses, social workers, speech language pathologists, and health professional students.
Cancellation Policy: All cancellations must be received in writing no later than seven (7) days prior to the conference. Refunds for cancellations will only be refunded via the method in which they were paid. After the seven (7) days prior to the conference, refunds are not available. Registrations may, however, be transferred to another person to attend this event. Notice of cancellations and/or transfer requests must be made in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wednesday, October 23, 2019
- 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- The Forum at Carle, 611 W. Park Street, Urbana, IL 61801
- email@example.com; 217-326-4535
Fill out the form below to register for the 2019 Identifying, Investigating, and Prosecuting Domestic Violence Strangulation Cases conference.